This is a permanent visa under SkillSelect from 1 July 2012. Applicants for this visa must be nominated by a State/Territory government.
Primary applicants for this visa
- must have lodged an expression of interest (EOI) and have received an invitation to apply [Schedules 1 and 2 criteria], and
- must submit an application online within the prescribed period [Schedule 1 criterion], and
- may be either in or outside Australia at time of application [Schedule 1 criterion] and at time of decision [Schedule 2 criterion], and
- if in Australia at time of application, must hold either a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A (010), B (020) or C (030) [Schedule 1 criterion], and
- at time of invitation to apply, must be aged under 45 (lowered from 50 as of 1 July 2017) and,
- at time of invitation to apply, must have at least ‘competent English’,
- must nominate a prescribed skilled occupation on MLTSSL/STSOL, and which is consistent with that specified in the invitation to apply, and
- must have applied for assessment of their qualifications by a relevant assessing body for that nominated occupation, and
- at time of invitation to apply, the assessing body must have completed assessment of the applicant’s qualifications to be suitable for the nominated occupation, and
- if the applicant’s qualifications were obtained in Australia whilst on a student visa, the applicant must have studied in a registered course, and
- must pass the points test
- and obtained a score which must be no less than that specified in the invitation to apply
- Applicant must be nominated by a State/Territory government, and
- the nominating State/Territory has not withdrawn the nomination.
- An applicant would need to meet the nomination criteria of the sponsoring State/Territory, for example the Victorian government’s website outlines its requirements,63 including
- Occupation being on the State skilled occupations list,
- Suitability and transferability of occupation, qualifications and skills to the needs of the State labour market,
- Demand for the particular occupation, skill and expertise in the State, and
- Ability and commitment to long term settlement in the State following grant of the 190 visa.