This visa allows people to come to Australia to care for relatives who are unable to care for themselves owing to long-term or chronic medical issues. The only difference between subclasses 116 and 836 is whether the applicant is inside or outside the country at the time of filing the application and when the visa is issued.
- Offshore Carer Visa (Subclass 116)
- Onshore Carer Visa (Subclass 836)
Duration of Stay
Starting at AUD $1,795
If the Minister of Home Affairs is convinced that the payment of the second instalment has caused, or is likely to cause, substantial financial hardship to the applicant or the person for whom the applicant is a carer, the second instalment may be waived.
Who might be eligible for this visa?
If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible for this visa:
- You can provide ongoing care and assistance to a relative and their spouse or de facto partner who share a home.
- You and your family members are in good health and have good morals.
Who is regarded as a ‘relative’:
Grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or step-equivalent, partner, child, parent, brother, sister, stepchild, step-parent, stepbrother, stepsister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or step-equivalent
Who is your financial backer?
Because of a long-term or chronic medical condition, your sponsor (family) or their partner must require substantial continuous care and support.
You must have the following sponsors:
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- a citizen of Australia, a permanent resident of Australia, or a citizen of New Zealand who meets the criteria
The following is a list of requirements that must be met by the sponsor:
- Have been unable to obtain the care they require in Australia from another source, such as a relative or an Australian welfare, hospital nursing, or community service.
- Have been assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services, or are in the process of doing so, to receive a medical certificate declaring that the sponsor or the sponsor’s partner has a medical condition that:
Causes physical, mental, or sensory problems
Certain health requirements must be met. The outcomes are usually good for a year. Do not schedule a physical examination until we request it.
This is true for all members of your family unit who are listed in your application, whether or not they are relocating.
Certain character requirements must be met. After you turn 16, you must be able to show a police certificate from each nation where you lived for 12 months or longer in the previous ten years. Do not obtain police certificates until we request them.
This includes all members of your family unit stated in your application, whether or not they are relocating.
Sign the Australian Values Statement if you agree with them.
You must sign an Australian Values Statement if you are 18 years of age or older to declare that you will respect the Australian way of life and follow Australian laws. The declaration is part of the visa application form. Before signing the statement, you must have read or had the Life in Australia book explained to you.
Government of Australia debts
Before this visa can be granted, you must have no outstanding debts to the Australian government or have made arrangements to repay any existing debts to the Australian government.