REGISTER YOUR RELATIONSHIP FOR PARTNERS - Australian Migration agents | Immigration Lawyers in Melbourne & Canberra | Global Vision Migration




To apply for a de facto partner visa, you must establish that you have lived with your partner for a period of 12 months. For the following categories of visas, the 12-month cohabitation requirement also applies when a spouse is included:

  • Visas that are valid indefinitely
  • Competencies in Business (Provisional)
  • Visas for students
  • Visas for partners
  • Visas for General Skilled Migration

If you register your relationship in an Australian state or territory, however, you are free from the 12-month obligation. You’d have to establish that you’ve been living together for at least a year, but not necessarily for that long.

Registration ensures that you and your partner are legally recognized as a couple under state law, as well as being useful for immigration considerations. The following are typical requirements:

Both parties must be at least 18 years old.

They must not be in a pair relationship with another person – this includes being married, in a de facto relationship, or in a registered relationship.

  • There must be no family ties.
  • Couples of both sexes are welcome to register their connection.
  • Evaluation of a Partner Visa

Registration is available in the states of New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory, and Tasmania, with the essential requirements given below.

NSW – Registered relationship under s.4, Relationships Register Act 2010

Residents of NSW can register with the NSW Registry of Deaths, Births, and Marriages. At least one of the partners must reside in New South Wales. After you’ve registered your relationship, you’ll get your certificate in 28 days.


Victoria – Registered Relationship under the Relationships Act 2008, s.10(3)(a)

Births, Deaths, and Marriages Victoria keeps track of relationships. Persons in a registrable domestic relationship or a registrable caring relationship may apply to the Registrar for registration of that relationship on a form approved by the Registrar if one of the persons in the relationship lives in Victoria and each of the persons in the relationship is not married, in a registered relationship, or in another relationship that could be a registrable caring relationship.

QLD – Civil Partnership under s.5 of Civil Partnerships Act 2011

You must give proof that at least one of your partners has lived in Queensland for at least 6 months. You can apply by mail, and the registration of relationships takes ten days. Your registration certificate will set you back $43.50.

Tasmania – Significant Relationship under s.4 of Relationships Act 2003

The Tasmania Department of Justice accepts applications by mail or in person. Your registration certificate will arrive in 28 days. Both partners must be Tasmanian residents. $179.08 is the application fee.

ACT – Civil Partnership under s.6 of Civil Partnerships Act 2008

Access Canberra can help you register your civil partnership. At least one of the partners must reside in the Australian Capital Territory. Two forms of proof of residency are required. You can apply in person or through the mail. If you apply by mail, however, at least one applicant will be required to show identification at the post office. There are no costs associated with registering a civil partnership.


Western Australia is a state in Australia (WA)

If you are resident of WA you can register your de facto relationship, however it is not recognized for migration purposes.

South Australia (SA)

Relationship registration is available now

Northern Territory (NT)

It is not possible to register a relationship.


On December 10, 2018, the Senate passed the Family Violence Bill. Sponsorships will almost certainly have to be granted before Partner visas can be applied for under the Bill. If you want to apply for a Partner visa, we urge that you schedule an appointment to discuss and understand how these changes may affect you.


Enquire with Global Vision Migration

Fill in your details and we’ll call you back!

    Universities & Colleges

    Warwick Institute of Australia
    Tr4in Right
    TMG College Australia
    Technical Education Development Institute
    St Peter Institute
    Southern Cross Education Institute
    Salford College of Business and Hospitality
    Sacred Heart International College
    Pax Institute of Education
    Navitas Professional Year
    Melbourne City College Australia
    Lead College
    International House Sydney
    International College Victoria
    Education Centre of Australia
    Della International College
    Danford College
    Central Australian College
    Baxter Institute – Engineering Campus
    ATMC Professional Year
    ALTEC College
    Acumen Institute of Further Education
    Skilled Up
    CIC higher education
    Request a Call Back

      Request a Call Back