Sponsors that meet the criteria for accredited status will have priority processing of all TSS nomination and visa applications, with the majority of them being completed in less than five days.
Certain low-risk nominations made by accredited sponsors are subject to streamlined processing. Nominations can be approved based on a certification on the nomination form, as well as extra documents and information gathered “upfront” as part of the sponsorship accreditation approval procedure.
STREAMLINED & PRIORITY PROCESSING
Sponsors who qualify for accredited status will receive priority processing of all TSS nomination and visa applications, with most applications processed in less than five days.
Streamlined processing arrangements are in place for certain low-risk nominations lodged by accredited sponsors. Nominations can be satisfied on the basis of a certification on the nomination form, in conjunction with additional documentation and information collected “upfront” as part of the sponsorship accreditation approval process.
The occupation is ANZSCO skill level 1 or 2;
The nominee’s annual earnings are equal to or greater than:
- $180,001; OR
- $90,000 and the occupation is not one of the occupations on the right:
- Reduced documents
- May receive auto approval of nomination
The benefits of accreditation are:
- Sponsorship is for a six-year period.
- All TSS applications are given first priority and are processed in a timely manner.
- Certain low-risk nominations will be processed more quickly.
- Concessions on nomination paperwork
- Advertising concessions pertaining to labor market testing
- Character requirements concessions
New accreditation categories
- Category 1: Commonwealth, State & Territory government agencies
- Category 2: Australian Trusted Traders (details here)
- Category 3: Low volume usage and high percentage of Australian workers (at least 85%)
- Category 4: High volume usage and medium percentage of Australian workers (at least 75%)
TSS Visa Processing times (non-accredited)
|STREAM||75 PER CENT OF APPLICATIONS PROCESSED||90 PER CENT OF APPLICATIONS PROCESSED|
|Short-term stream||49 days||77 days|
|Medium-term stream||38 days||64 days|
|Labour Agreement stream||22 days||56 days|
|Sponsorship||38 days||64 days|
|Nomination||35 days||39 days|
ACCREDITATION CATEGORIES 1 & 2
|Category 1Commonwealth, state and territory government agencies||Have Australian workers comprising at least 75% of their workforce in Australia|
|Category 2Australian Trusted Traders
(available to businesses in the international supply chain industry)
|•Australian workers comprising at least 75% of workforce•engage all employees under a written contract of employment in accordance with National Employment Standards (NES)
•Enterprise Agreement or internal salary table reflecting current market salary rates
ACCREDITATION CATEGORY 3
|Category 3Low volume usage and high percentage of Australian workers (at least 85%)||
ACCREDITATION CATEGORY 4
|Category 4High volume usage and medium percentage of Australian workers (at least 75%)||
CATEGORIES 3 & 4 – DIFFERENCES
|Requirement||Category 3||Category 4|
|Standard business sponsor||1 year||2 years|
|Nominations approved for at least||1 nomination||10 nominations|
The Department now has the authority to evaluate accreditation for sponsors who are:
- In industries where this is a popular company structure, large partnerships are common.
- Special circumstances apply to ‘start-up’ businesses.
Corporate reorganization is at work that will affect their eligibility.
Applicants who are sponsored by an approved sponsor do not need to get police certificates from countries other than Australia as long as they provide a written reference from their accredited sponsor stating that they are of good character and have not been convicted of any criminal offenses.
Sponsors should think about the following:
- Previously done character checks on the employee
- Policies and processes used inside the company
- If the employee fails the character test, the employee’s job and immigration prospects are jeopardized.
RISKS & REVOCATION
Accreditation status can be revoked if:
- The accreditation features are not maintained by the sponsor.
- When a sponsor provides a reference for a good character employee, the employee is later found to fail the character test.
The simplified and priority processing will stop after revocation, but approval as a conventional corporate sponsor will continue.
IMPLICATIONS FOR BUSINESS
- Strong internal control mechanisms . for example:
- Staff changes – exit/entry checklists
- Staff training and awareness
- Compliance obligations (*critical)
- Internal policies/procedures regarding character references
- Advance planning to avoid character references
- Including staff outside of HR/Mobility (eg Talent Management) in visa processes.
Responsibility is on sponsors to ensure genuineness of occupation, AMSR and detailed compliant records are kept.
- The TSS program’s future is based on accreditation, which ensures that sponsors receive priority processing and concessions for certain requirements.
- Conformity, including compliance with accreditation features, will be a major concern.
How long does it take to become an Accredited 482 Sponsor
- accreditation applications have a 1 to 2 months processing time
Global Vision Migration Visa Services
- Global Vision Migration Visa can assist with:
- Accreditation sponsorship applications
- Compliance audits
- Education and guidance
- Ad hoc support